The RSS Parser allows you to intercept and display RSS feeds anywhere in your page. RSS is a web-feed format used by sites to publish information such as blog entries, news headlines, audio, and video in a standardized format. It's the web-site equivalent of a TV or Radio Station, but it's web-page content rather than audio or video being broadcast. You can see the RSS News feed page for Image-Line here.
The widget is not displayed in EDIT mode. Switch to BROWSE mode or make an offline preview to see the widget in context. While in EDIT mode you will see this icon:
- Position the cursor | where you want to insert the widget.
- Go to Editing Tools.
- Press Widgets button and select RSS Parser.
- Adjust the form settings (see below) and press OK. You can change the settings later by double-clicking the widget icon while in EDIT mode.
If the RSS Reader does not parse (process and display) the RSS feed, make sure the fopen_url option in php.ini is ON (or check with your provider).
Double-click the widget preview icon to open its settings window:
Styles - Use the Style Presets drop-down menu to apply one of the predefined formatting styles. You can save your own styles for later use using the Save As Preset button.
Preview changes - Use the Refresh button to update the RSS and preview it after making changes to the settings.
RSS URL - Use the RSS Feed Url to set the url of the RSS feed to display on page. For example: http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_world.rss. Use Internal Feed button if you want to select an RSS feed from an internal page (your Blog for example).
Multiple RSS feeds - If you want to parse multiple RSS feeds, use (;) as separator when adding urls and enable the Random Entries option. Use the External Feed to find external RSS feed and the Settings button to view the list of settings.
- Feed Id - Unique id for this feed.
- Direction - Direction of feed entries, horizontal or vertical, for horizontal direction yuo can specify number of columns
- Entries Limit (drop-down menu) - Set the maximum for news-item entries to be displayed in feed.
- Entries/Page (drop-down menu) - Set the maximum number of entries to be displayed on the page. If you use this option, page navigation bullets will be displayed at the top and bottom of feed.
- Random Entries (check box) - Display random entries (use ';' as separator when adding multiple urls for example [http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheAustralianArt;http://www.image-line.com/documents/news.php?action=rss]).
- Reverse Feed Order (check box) - Display feed entries in reversed order.
- Cache Feed (check box) - The RSS will be cached. The cache is cleared every one hour.
- Enable Preview in Browse Mode (check box) - Enable preview in Browse mode (inside EzGenerator).
- Use EZGenerator Sever to parse Feed (check box) - Forces EZGenerator server to parse the RSS feed. This is needed only if your server doesn't support reading of an external url.
- Replace Video with Image (check box) - Youtube videos included in feed will be replaced with image associated with video.
- Add Read More Button (check box) - Read More button linked to article in feed will be displayed at the bottom of each entry.
- Enable Preview in Browse Mode (check box) - Enable preview in Browse mode.
- Add Social Networks (check box) - Facebook and Twitter like me buttons will be displayed at the bottom of each entry.
- Include Header (check box) - Displays the RSS feed header information. Use Header Font Style drop-down menu to set a style.
- Header Font style (drop-down menu) - Header font.
- Include Header Image (if available) (check box) - RSS feed image (if available).
Ticker option adds animation to the feed. User can navigate between entries will with navigation buttons or if auto-play is on, entries will be displayed in carousel. When ticker option is enabled, Entries/Page option is ignored.
Feed Body Tab (Style)
These settings affect the container that holds the whole RSS.
- Width (edit box) - The width of the table holding the RSS feed (in pixels). Include % if you need to set it as a percentage of the hosting page.
- Spacing (edit box) - The spacing between item entries.
- Alignment (drop-down menu) - Alignment of the RSS entries.
- Border (edit box, drop-down menu and color picker) - Border width, style and color for the table holding the parsed RSS feed. Leave the Size box empty to set invisible borders.
- Background (color and image picker) - Background color of the table holding the RSS feed.
Feed Entry (Style)
These settings affect the container that holds each RSS entry item.
- Border (edit box, drop-down menu and color picker) - Border width, style and color for each entry block. Use T, L, B, R options to set borders separately - Top, Left, Bottom and Right.
- Background (color picker) - Background color for the table holding the RSS feed.
- Include Title (check box) - If checked, will display the entry title.
- Title Settings - Use Bullet (counter) to add bullet points (standard and template) to the title. Use Font Style drop-down menu to set style for the entry title. Use Title as Url option if you want to display entry title as url. Use Target to set how you want the link to open (as new window or in same window). Space Between Title and Description sets the spacing between title and description.
- Include Date (check box) - If checked, will display date for the entries. Old news is boring news!
- Date Settings - Use Font Style drop-down menu to set a style. Use Date Format drop-down menu to select the date format.
- Include Description (check box) - If checked, will display description for the entries.
- Description Settings - Use Font Style drop-down menu to set a style.
Use the OK button to apply the settings and Cancel button to cancel them.